Vegan Eggplant Involtini With Almond Ricotta
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ lemon, zest, and juice
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp powdered garlic
- ¼ tsp powdered onion
- 2 tbsp fresh basil and chives
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 cup tomato sauce (marinara style)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, plant-based
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch of packed basil leaves
- Drop the almonds in a bowl, fill the bowl with water, cover it, and let them stand for an hour.
- Drain the almonds and put them in a blender.
- Add the hot water, lemon juice, and olive oil blend until the mixture is combined.
- Season with nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, chopped basil, and chives. Blend until smooth.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise 1/3 inch thick, and sprinkle with salt. Let the slices sit for 30 minutes so that they release bitter water. Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Drain off the water and lightly brush each eggplant’s side with olive oil.
- Heat the eggplant slices in a large pan on medium heat. Cook until soft and golden brown, then set them aside on a plate.
- Roll the eggplant slices up with a teaspoon of almond ricotta inside each.
- In a large oven-proof dish, spread tomato sauce. Place eggplant rolls on top of the sauce and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with plant-based parmesan.
- Garnish with basil leaves and enjoy.